Thursday, August 3, 2017

Feeling the paddle

It's hot and muggy. I feel irritable.

Eric is looking at a heavy Fall travel schedule.  I feel emotional loneliness ready to set in.

My clothes are too tight or not fitting quite right.  I feel fat and unattractive.

My car episode is over but Eric's co-worker teased me about it today. I feel stupid.

The internet was down for over four hours. I feel annoyed.

We sat at dinner and I said nothing.

"What's up, Cranky McSpanky?" Eric asked.

I glared.  I huffed.  I might have even rolled my eyes.

Then I picked up my half eaten plate of food, tossed it in the sink, and walked away from the table.

"Amy?" Eric sounded concerned.  "What's going on?"

I lost it.

"I'm tired of feeling like you are always leaving!" I hollered and slammed the door to the garage.

I was angry. Mad. Hurt.

Eric waited a few minutes and then got me to come back in the house.  He reminded me of all of the logic that went behind the situation and the reasons we do the things we do.  Nothing he said was new to me but nothing he said made me FEEL better.  Finally, he gave up.

"I think you just want to throw a fit, Amy Lynn," he announced, leaving me to my own misery.

As if just given permission, I threw it.  I yelled and stomped and pouted and possibly knocked over a small table stacked with magazines and such.  Oh yes, I was crying and boo hooing about my unhappy life (which quite frankly, is NOT unhappy) and I made an academy award scene that my husband missed!

When I slowed down enough to realize Eric wasn't even downstairs anymore, I stormed into our room to blast him for not even bothering to care enough to stick around for my tantrum. I stopped short when I noticed the spanking chair moved to the center of the room and a flat wooden cheese board perched across the seat.

Eric sat in bed, reading his new John Grisham book and waiting patiently.

Pants down, over his knee, a stern hand spanking quickly turned into a sound paddling.

A few minutes in the corner and I ended up having a really good cry in Eric's arms.

The long trips are coming and it's hard to transition when we've been able to enjoy some solid time together.

Obviously, I'm still not over it and I may never be.  However, tonight, I was reminded that...

Image result for safety quotes for drivers

Sigh.  Much of my prior feelings have gone but I'm still feeling that paddle.

Amy

4 comments:

  1. Ouch! I enjoyed your temper tantrum, even Eric did not. Made me feel better knowing other ttwd wives do similar things on occasion. I sometimes feel like a royal brat and Hoss fixes it the same way too. Glad your intense feelings have subsided, but I get where you're coming from and my man was only gone a week. Hugs!
    --Baker

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes, Baker. Ttwd changes the communication around volatile emotional outbursts but does nothing for preventing their presence. I just think it's a girl thing. Emotions run high and even the most patient lose it on occasion. Have a wonderful weekend. :)
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  3. So had to laugh at the "Cranky McSpanky." Being apart is never easy. You feel like you are holding everything up all by yourself. No loving man to listen when you really need to talk. Phone is OK but not the same as a voice in your ear and a hand on your bottom.

    Enjoyed This, Amy!
    Ella

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ella,
      Thank you for stopping by. I always love your stories - Mr. Paddle, Son of Paddle, et al. It is hard when Eric is gone. Unfortunately, this fall is looking to be as lonely as the last one. At least I have blog land to keep me afloat!
      Amy

      Delete

Thank you for reading! Thank you even more, if you decide to comment. :)